Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Turkish Hug - June 9, 2010






I haven't even arrived in Turkey yet, and already I am experiencing great kindness from the people who live there.



Last week, I told you about my decision to use CouchSurfing, after someone posted a message on my blog suggesting that I do so. CouchSurfing is a free, worldwide, cultural web-site that offers members the opportunity to host guests and to be guests in other members' homes while traveling. CouchSurfing utilizes numerous procedures to heighten safety.

After what I've seen so far, I might never book a hotel overseas again.

I have already received invitations to stay with families in Istanbul, Izmir, Bursa, Canakhhale and Bodrum. I've also been invited to dinner and been offered the services of a tour guide. Wow!

Speaking from past trips overseas, I can say without hesitation that there's no better way to experience a culture and truly interact with others than by living with a family.

CouchSurfing has also given me the chance to find out what some Turks think about the chances of success for the journey. My favorite comment is from Suleyman who said, "I believe that Turkey will give you a hug, and you will have a wonderful experience in each city." Who could ask for more.

Along the same lines, Pasa said, "I believe you'll meet with very good and helpful people." Corina was so impressed with Turkey that she left Australia to move there. She said, "Turkey in general is the most hospitable country you could visit, and I love it here."

For months, I've been sharing my belief that the universe can be trusted. Several Turks on CouchSurfing agreed with my sentiment. Fatih wrote to me saying, "Let's show your students that YES!! the world IS a good place to live. It depends on how you look at things!"

I am especially inspired by the words of Umit Samur, who said, "I am a retired teacher. I told the same idea to my students. I would love to help you and your students to understand that your beliefs make our realities."

Umit speaks from experience. Back in 1999, she lived through a massive earthquake in Turkey that killed more than 45,000 people and left about half a million people homeless. At first, Umit was angry and cursed the tragedy, but then she decided to try to ease the pain of those around her.

As she put it, "I saw that there was no point in crying. It would be a more noble behavior to help those who suffered in the earthquake, and to sympathize with them, I decided. I searched for ways to reach them."

This process led her on a spiritual journey that caused her to transform her life and brought her to the United States, where she became a citizen.

Now, Umit is a spiritual writer, who is helping other women overcome roadblocks in their lives. Currently, she is participating in a worldwide writing contest, whose winner will receive a book contract. You can see her story and read a chapter of her book by clicking on this link.
Her author ID number is 1118. If you like her writing, you can vote for her in the contest. (By the way, I decided to mention this on my blog on my own. This was not Umit's idea. Umit, if you read this, I hope you don't mind).

Several people have asked me if I am worried about staying with strangers. I am certainly not suggesting that anyone do so. That is up to each individual, but I've seen the safeguards with CouchSurfing, and once again, I believe people are basically good, so I'm making a leap of faith.

Actually, meeting anyone new or trying anything new requires a leap of faith. You even need a certain amount of faith to stay in a hotel because anyone with a pass key could walk in at any time.

As I write this entry, I am four days away from traveling to Turkey. Sometimes, it's hard for me to believe that this all began with a blog ten months ago.

Since that time, many wonderful things have happened. I've had more than 2,000 hits on the blog from 38 U.S. states, 32 countries, and two territories; a friend donated an airline ticket for my trip, and readers have generously donated $330.54. Thank you!

This experience has reaffirmed my belief in benevolence. It has also taught me that there is a tremendous amount of power in the universe. All we must do is to ask the universe for what we need and then have faith that it can happen.

Or, on a less esoteric note, I'm beginning to see that there is a whole network of people in the world who want to see our plans succeed and who want to help us. It's a matter of recognizing the network and asking for help. In the past, I've often failed to do so out of fear, the desire to not impose on others, or the desire to not appear foolish.

As you know, I like to close my posts with a quote. Today, I'll close with another quote from Umit, who had this to say about my upcoming month-long journey into the unknown. "The universe knows the route for you. Just relax and enjoy the ride." Sounds like some good advice for our journey through life, too.



PLEASE HELP - I continue to need your financial assistance for my trip. If you can, I hope you will consider making a donation, so I don't have to eat the Turkish equivalent of Kraft macaroni and cheese throughout my trip. I promise I will use the money wisely. Any money that is left over will be donated to the charities Doctors Without Borders, Catholic Relief Services and Save the Children.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Mark! i got the link to your blog from Gokhan... looks like he will be your couchsurfing host in Istanbul :) ... im a couchsurfer too and was surfing in Turkey last summer ( Gokhan was my host too :)... was also couchsurfing in April this year in Japan for about a month ( enjoyed watching your pics from japan :)
    so very excited about your travel to Turkey .. im pretty sure u'll hav an amazing time with even more amazing people!
    if you need any travel advises on Turkey from a foreigner let me know my CS profile is : http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/magkalisz/
    enjoy your travels .. wishing you all the best!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited about my upcoming trip, and I am already impressed by the kindness of the Turkish people. Gokhan seems like he is a great, peaceful person. I look forward to getting to know him.

    I enjoyed your profile, and one day, maybe we can meet. You are always welcome at my home in the United States.

    It's been several years since I visited your country. I spent three of the best days of my life with my brother in Krakow. What a wonderful place!

    Thank you very much for your comment, and I might take you up on your offer for suggestions during my trip.

    Take care and enjoy Spain and Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so good to hear you have some good memories from Poland :)....
    thank you for invitation to Georgia - I have few good friends living in the States and did some travelling over there but never stayed longer in Georgia :) but i remember Savannah very well( not only from Forrest Gump movie ;) but spent there a lovely day during my road trip from Maine to Florida...
    and also many thanx for sharing the link to Umit's story.. recently i've been reading a few articles on women's situation in Turkey and it makes me happy that more and more women are not only searching for their freedom and independence but also actually achieving it.. that is a very heart-warming news for me :)

    safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kali
    It is me, Umit. Thank you for your kind thoughts about Turkish women and supporting women to be independent. When I see a lot of women becoming more independent, peaceful, happy and creative I feel very happy like you. It is my dream to help more women on their journey to free their souls.
    Hope to meet you one day
    Love and Light
    Umit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Umit! ive been thinking of you and reading your blog and checking your website :)so you must have felt this somehow .. will email you soon to have a little chat and exchange of thoughts.... :) Thanx Mark for making and extending this network of like-minded/like- hearted people here... its good to feel ONE with the Universe ! :)

    ReplyDelete