Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Greetings From Izmir - June 22, 2010





The journey to my next Couch Surfing host led me to Akcay, where I met up with Umit, a name which means "hope" in Turkish.




Akcay is located about two hours southeast of Canakkale along an inlet of the North Aegean Sea. We spent only a day here before moving on to Umit's home in Izmir, but there was time to take my first swim in Turkey and enjoy the ambience before departing the following day.

Also, I got to witness a Turkish wedding. In Akcay, the tradition is that the street is closed so that the wedding can be held outdoors, and everyone is invited.



Two More Acts of Kindness


When I arrived in Akcay, I had Umit's telephone number, but no phone, and no idea where she lived. As I was walking along the sidewalk, I passed a man getting a shoe shine, who called out, "You are from England?"

I explained where I was from and what I was doing in Akcay, and he asked me if I wanted to walk to a building where I could make a "call for free."

The building turned out to be a public facility with several pay phones. Even though Umit is bilingual, the man took it upon himself to make sure there would be no problems with the communication between me and my host. Then, he hung up and paid for the call. I objected, but he said, "You are my guest now in Turkey. It is my pleasure."

Afterward, the man walked me to his car and drove me to the bus station, where Umit was waiting. Umit in Turkish explained my mission to him, and he simply responded, "You have chosen the right country, my friend."

Before leaving, the man asked me once again if I needed anything else, since I was his "guest."

Later, Umit and I and her friend, Patricia, strolled through the streets of the small waterfront town. Umit and Patricia ducked into a store, but I decided to wait outside.

Suddenly, a man in the store next door pulled out a stool and invited me to sit with him on the sidewalk.

He didn't speak any English, but he proceeded to offer me a bottle of mineral water and showed me a book with local sites. The man was in no way trying to sell me anything. He just wanted to be hospitable.

When Umit returned, he explained to her that he was happy I was in Turkey. Then, once again, Umit told him about my journey, and he, too, said he believed in the goodness of people.

It is hard to explain the feeling of coming across all of the people who have helped me in one way or another during my time in Turkey. It is as if there is some cosmic alliance whose mission is to safely deliver me from place to place until I meet my next host. It really is amazing, but Umit believes that I am creating this reality because I, too, am trusting the universe, and so, it is responding in kind.

As I am writing this, I am safely tucked away at Umit's home in Izmir, which is located about four hours south of Ackay. Umit is a spiritual healer/spiritual writer and a retired teacher.

When I meet each of my Couch Surfing hosts, I ask why he or she participates in the program. Umit had this to say, "I want to connect with people from all over the world, exchange information, and to develop more compassion toward other people by learning more about their cultures and lifestyles."

Some people have already told me that I'm crazy for staying in the homes of strangers, and I've heard it said that certainly a woman shouldn't do it. Umit had this to say, "I trust people. It doesn't matter whether it is a man or woman. Couch Surfing is very safe and done in a very professional manner."

Umit has hosted travelers for three years and never had a problem.

Finally, I asked Umit about my belief that the world is a good place. She said, "I completely agree. Goodness is inside each of us, and it reflects onto others."

In a previous post, I told you about Umit. Currently, she is participating in a worldwide spirituality writing contest, whose winner will receive a book contract. You can see her story and read a chapter of her book by clicking on this link. Her author ID number is 1118. If you like her writing, I hope you wil consider voting for her in the contest.

The second round of the contest ends on June 28. In the first round, she was one of 270 people chosen out of 2,700 entrants. The second round whittles that number down to 25.

NOTE: Umit did not ask me to make this request. I am doing it because I believe she has a lot to share with the world.

It's been a long day, so I'm going to wrap it up. Izmir seems to be a good place to relax for a couple of days. I'm worn out, and my body is telling me to rest. Umit's house is just across the street from the North Aegean Sea, which will give me ample opportunities to enjoy the soothing waters and become refreshed.

Thanks for reading my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, this post made me cry. Your friend Gokhan and I are now friends on Facebook, and he said he really did nothing except be himself and ask you to be yourself. Well said, I think. What I am sensing is just what Umit has said -- people ARE good, but much of that is finding you because you have chosen to trust in that goodness to lead you on your journey. Nevertheless, it is truly astounding to see how people are so eagerly reaching out to help you. It is inspiring me to want to to be more cognizant of people around me who may need help, and I can only hope your experience is inspiring others to feel the same. You will have LOTS to share with your students when you return, and even more to write in your book. I think you might even have a few Rotary Club speeches in your future. ;-)

    I really really miss you, and I cannot wait to hear more about your trip when you get home. In the meantime, I am loving re-visiting Turkey vicariously through you. Isn't Izmir gorgeous? I remember eating at a Mexican restaurant on the waterfront probably near where you are. Let me know if get to try some Turkish/Mexican food. It is quite a treat. Oh, and drink some Turkish tea for me.

    Love you!
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete