Friday, June 25, 2010

Exploring Ephesus - June 26, 2010

Years ago, I had the privilege of visiting Rome to see some of the ancient ruins of the Roman Empire. Turkey has its own share of impressive ruins at Ephesus.

In 129 B.C., Ephesus became capital of the Roman province of Asia Minor. During its height, Ephesus was a wealthy trading city, and several awe-inspiring structures were built with that wealth.


...including the library of Celsus, which once contained 12,000 scrolls;



........the Great Theater, which could hold up to 25,000 people;

.......................and this marble-paved street.

Here are a couple of additional pictures.














You can get more historical details from the experts.



Christians believe that St. John wrote his gospel while living in Ephesus. As I walked through the ancient city, his words came a little bit more alive.

Ephesus is located a couple of miles away from Selçuk. If you look at a map, I traveled about an hour due south of Izmir to get here.

I've heard wonderful stories about the Greek coastline, but I cannot imagine anything much more beautiful than what I saw yesterday while driving through the mountains, gazing out at the Aegean Sea that stretched out beneath me the entire way from Izmir to Selçuk.

I couldn't find any Couch Surfers in Selçuk, so yesterday I checked into a hotel for the first time since arriving 13 days ago. The hotel was O.K, but I felt a real absence without my Turkish friends.

That evening, I tried something new - Turkish meatballs. Picture thinly-sliced, lean beef on a bed of fresh onions and tomatoes, smothered in cheese and butter. Fabulous!

Of course, no day would be complete without another story of Turkish kindness. Yesterday, I climbed aboard a mini-bus to travel three-fourths of the way to my destination, a junction near Selçuk, where the mini-bus would continue in another direction, and I would have to catch another bus.

The driver knew I was a foreigner, so he insisted that I sit next to him. I'm hardly a helpless traveler, but I never want to turn down a thoughtful gesture.

When we reached the junction, the driver stopped the bus, actually jumped out, and flagged down the correct bus to take me to Selçuk. I gave him a hearty handshake, and he responded with a smile whose meaning I could have understood in any language.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, what an incredible journey. So so glad you have been to Ephesus! Hope you get to see Mary's house as well. I am loving following you vie the web!

    Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete