Sunday, June 20, 2010

Canakkale - June 20, 2010


The person on the right is my new Couch Surfing host Özgür and you might recognize what is behind us. It is the Trojan horse used in the movie Troy with Brad Pitt. Troy, itself, is about 30 miles from here.

But my focus is the harbor town of Canakkale, which is located between the Sea of Marmara and the Aegean Sea.

People come here on weekends to unwind and enjoy the waterfront.
Canakkale is also a popular spot for nightlife. One of the advantages of staying with Özgür, a school psychologist, is that he knows the great eating spots.

And there's no better way to top off a meal than with the Turkish beverage of choice, tea.

I plan on staying here one more day and then head for another waterfront town called Akcay, where I will meet my next host, and together we will go to Izmir.

As with my other Couch Surfing host, Gökhan, I asked Özgür why he allows strangers into his home. He said that he enjoys meeting people from different cultures, and like me, he believes most people are honest, so he is not afraid of hosting. I never would have made it through my first week in Turkey if that were not the case.

Please keep reading, and again, I appreciate all of your support.

Financial Update - June 13-19

Here is an update on how much I have spent during my first week in Turkey. Obviously, I can't afford to go to the opera, which I don't do much in the United States, and I haven't eaten in any 5-star restaurants, but why would I when I sometimes get to eat homemade food or eat at restaurants that locals recommend.

I have to avoid some things, but I in no way feel deprived.

Here is the breakdown:

Transportation - 55.80 Turkish Lira (TL) - about $35 USD. My big expense here was a $22 bus ride from Istanbul to Canakkale.

Food - 45.54 TL - about $29 USD.

VISA to enter Turkey - $20 USD

Exchange fee - 1.32 TL - about .83 USD

Total amount spent - $85 USD

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I miss that Turkish tea. It looks like you are enjoying beautiful weather. Pray for me on Monday. I take the big test in the morning, and then I start summer school for nights a week. All my notes were lost when my hard drive crashed. :-(

    ReplyDelete