Monday, June 28, 2010

Back to Izmir - June 28, 2010

After two days in Turgutreis, I said goodbye this morning to my latest host, Jim. Jim was gracious enough to show me the sites of the village from aboard his scooter.

I could have thought of no better way to have explored the coastline than with the wind blowing through my hair and the sun warming my skin, as I breathed in the salty air and marveled at the beauty around me. One word comes to mind - freedom.

Yesterday, Jim parked the scooter, and we planted ourselves on the beach. My only regret was that I didn't have a mask to gaze at the sealife below me in the turquoise water.


Thanks, Jim for your hospitality.

From Turgutreis, I look a four-hour bus ride back to Izmir to celebrate my 45th birthday with Umit and Reyhan.

The Turkish bus system is the best I've ever seen. The spacious, modern buses offer such amenities as on-board television, music, and movies, and all bus companies provide refreshments.

This morning, I enjoyed chocolate and vanilla ice cream. The universe must have known it was my birthday because the attendant offered me an extra cup.

In you are curious, the 180-mile (288-kilometer) trip cost around $15 USD.

As I write this entry, I am back in the peaceful and friendly confines of Umit's house. In a few minutes, we are headed downtown to celebrate my birthday. Even though I am so far from my family and friends, I feel happy knowing that I will get to spend this day with my special new Turkish friends.

Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday. Sounds like the trip is going really well. Enjoy it.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday wishes, and if I don't talk to you before then, have a safe and wonderful trip in Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete