Monday, June 28, 2010

It Keeps Getting More Amazing - June 29, 2010

Traveling Teacher 2010 is headed for Turkish television.

This morning, I was interviewed by Izmir's largest television station about my month-long journey through Turkey. Izmir's population is about 2.6 million, which means that tens of thousands of people will be able to learn about my story.



In the pictures, you can see Umit, my host, translating for the interview

The story is due to air at 19:00 Turkish time and 12 p.m. EST time in the United States. Here is the link for the station. If you happen to be on the web site at noon, you can see the story simulcast. Look on the far left-hand column of the web-site. About half way down, you will see the red logo with the words "Yeni Asir tv" Click on it, and you will be able to see the story during the newscast. I'm not sure when it will appear.

So how did this all happen? It is due in large part to the efforts of the man seated in this photo - Serdar Samur.


Serdar is the general manager of the soccer team Göztepe, which has a long, proud tradition in Izmir and throughout Turkey. Serdar is Umit's brother.

Umit felt I should meet Serdar, so yesterday we went to see him at his office. When I told Serdar about my journey, a spark went off inside him, and he said, "I think people should know about what you are doing."

Serdar is a man with connections. Before we could even finish our conversation, he was on his cell phone calling the head of the local television station.

Am I surprised about this latest turn of events? Absolutely not. The Turkish goodness keeps flowing my way. I'm learning to live in expectation. I'm learning on an even deeper level that anything is possible.

The interview was amazing, but spending my birthday yesterday with Umit, Reyhan, and Serdar meant even more to me.


Serdar graciously took us out to dinner and even surprised me with a birthday cake. As if that weren't enugh, Serdar also bought my ticket for the next leg of my journey.

It's hard to express my gratitude to Umit, Reyhan, and now my new friend, Serdar. They have shown me such kindness and love.

Especially, I am grateful for Umit. A few minutes after meeting her, I knew I was in the presence of a holy woman, who literally radiates goodness. It has been a privilege to get to know Umit, and I am honored to be her friend.

Sadly, my time is winding down in Izmir. Tonight, I'm headed to Konya, which is located about 8 hours due east of Izmir.

Once again, I'll probably be out of touch for a day or two, but I will still be sending all of you good thoughts, and I continue to be lifted up by all of your positive thoughts and comments.

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark
    It was my pleasure to host you as a a brave man. Being with a friend who is awake and who trusts the universe is so much fun for me. I love being a part of your great project. I am sure you will have more experiences proving that there is goodness in each of us.I am happy that your students and all other people from all over the world will read about your experiences and they will start believing in their own goodness first in their hearts and then in each other's hearts. We all are great beings connected to each other in a magical divine way.
    May you continue spreading your light to every place you go and touch the souls of the people you come across!
    Lots of Love
    Umit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Wonderful Birthday Boy,

    I tuned in today to the tv station to try and see your interview, and I watched for over an hour, and did not see you. I finally had to turn it off because I had to get to school for a hearing. I am blown away at the realization of just how many people God is working through. It is truly awe-inspiring. But as you travel and marvel at all the kindness that "strangers" are showing you, do not forget that they are reaching out to you because you exude openness, and that counts for something. Yes, the Turkish people are very kind, but you make it easy for them to reach out to you, and that is a gift. Not everyone can be as trusting as you, and that is something to be treasured. It is one of the many reasons I feel blessed that you are my friend.

    Love,

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The interview actually appeared at the top of the newscast. Imagine that. You never see positive stories lead the news in America.

    You are too kind with your comments.

    Really, I don't feel like I am doing a thing. I am just receiving the goodness of the Turkish people.

    ReplyDelete