Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Recharging in Izmir - June 23, 2010


"We do not know where we are going but we are on our way."

- Stephen Vincent Benet





Those of you who know me well know that I am a habitiual planner, but I decided to cast that aside for this trip and, instead, let the universe take me where it saw fit.

The only plan I had ahead of time was to visit Istanbul, since I was flying there, and visit Ephesus, since several people recommended it. If someone suggests a place, I feel that is the universe talking, so I go. If not, I don't go. That's my way of choosing locations to visit.

Suggestions led me from Istanbul to Canakkale to Akcay and now to Izmir. If you look at a map of Turkey, I am currently traveling south in a counterclockwise direction.

Every place I have visited has been a great experience. Now I am enjoying my second day in Izmir with my gracious hosts Umit and her roommate Reyhan.



After meeting them both, it took me about 10 minutes to feel as if I were an old friend. Last night, I was reclining on the sofa reading a book, while Umit was working on the computer, and Reyhan was washing strawberries for homemade marmalade she was preparing for breakfast when a feeling of joy flooded over me as the realization sunk in of how truly fortunate I am to be amongst such wonderful ladies.

It is worth repeating that before traveling to Turkey I had never met any of my Couch Surfing hosts, and yet, they have treated me with a level of kindness and trust normally only acquired after years of friendship.

As I write this entry, Umit and Reyhan are out, and they trust me enough, after knowing me for two days, to leave me alone with a spare key in what they say I should consider to be my "home." Either I am the luckiest person to have ever traveled in Turkey with the people who have crossed my path, or there is something greater at work here. As I've said over and over again, I believe a benevolent universe is responsible.

I think it is also worth repeating that I am hardly roughing it. Here is Umit and Reyhan's house, and even though I am not eating in five-star restaurants, I can't imagine tasting food any better than the delicious cooking of Reyhan and Umit. More importantly to me, I am getting to forge new friendships and experience Turkey in a way I never could have staying in hotels.


The universe definitely sent me to the right place at this point in my journey. I had forgotten how long it takes to adjust to a new country, especially after the 20+ hours of traveling it took for me to get to Turkey.

It has been a real blessing to just unwind in such a peaceful place with such peaceful women. Although Izmir is a city of more than two million people, Umit and Reyhan live in a quiet, residential area just across the street from the Aegean Sea. Each morning, Umit swims to begin her day. This morning, I gladly joined her.


I am also blessed to be receiving such guidance and support from Umit. She is a very spiritual woman, who has gone through her own struggles and become a better person as a result. She is teaching me to trust my mission even more and to be even more aware of what is going on around me and the people around me.

Umit believes that people either give off positive energy or negative energy. Those who are giving off positive energy tend to attract other people giving off positive energy and thus, good things normally happen. On the other hand, people who give off negative energy tend to attract other negative people and thus, bad things tend to happen.

Umit continues to tell me that since I am so committed to my mission of benevolence I am attracting goodness and creating my own reality in Turkey, which has been so amazing. She is giving me a lot to think about for the manner in which I should live my daily life once I return to the United States.

Originally, I had planned on visiting Ephesus tomorrow, but Umit wants to show me around Izmir tomorrow, and she wants more time to try to set up a couple of hosts for future destinations.

I was worried I would be imposing, but she and Reyhan insist that they are enjoying my company, and Reyhan has already made me promise that wherever I am in Turkey, I will return next week to celebrate my birthday with the two of them. I told her I would be honored.

I am beginning to run out of words to express it, so I will just say that the Turkish people really are incredible. I hope you will consider coming here one day to see for your self.

In closing, I want to again thank all of you for making this trip possible. I want to especially thank Umit's friend, Patricia Hamilton, who is coming to the end of her own month-long trip to Turkey.

Earlier this week, I meet her in Akcay, where she was visiting Umit. Before Patricia left, I found 20 Turkish Lira, about $12.60 on top of my backpack. I asked where the money came from. Patricia said, "It isn't much, but I really appreciate what you are trying to do to show that the world is a good place."

If that wasn't enough, last night, a high school classmate, who I hadn't talked to in 28 years, gave me a $50 donation on my blog and today, I discovered an additional $20 donation from another reader. I am truly touched.

Below, you will find an updated financial statement. A couple of days ago, I was ready to tell you that I had spent $102.38 over the past 11 days in Turkey, which I think is pretty amazing, but with the latest donations, I am now down only $19.74 from where I started.

Can you explain it?

Financial Update

I started out my trip with $350.54, but since then, I have received an additional $82.64 in donations. So my total assets are now $433.18.

The donations are as follows:

- $52.75 (minus a PayPal service fee of 1.83) = $50.92
- $20.00 (minus a PayPal service fee of 0.88) = $19.12
- 20 Turkish Lira, equivalent of about = $12.60


Expenses:

Transportation = 78.80 TL = $49.64
Food = 47.29 TL = $29.79
VISA(to enter Turkey) = $20.00
Money exchange feeds = 2.32 TL = $ 2.95

Total expenses = $102.38

I now have $330.80 left to spend over the next 19 days.

3 comments:

  1. Keep going my friend! =) You are proving something very very important to the world,i wish not only us,the billions could watch you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your comments. Actually, you were the first person who hosted me in Turkey. Because of the great experience you gave me, you set me off in the right direction with a lot of confidence.

    Thank you for all you have done and for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete