Sunday, June 20, 2010

Farewell From Canakkale - June 21, 2010





(Özgür performs on a traditional Turkish instrument called a bağlama.)







This morning, I will leave Canakkale full of fond memories of the time spent with Özgür and his friends.

Özgür showed me a side of the city that would never have been possible if I were exploring Canakkale on my own, and his generosity was humbling. Many times, I tried to pay for things, but he would not let me.

It was the same way in Istanbul with Gökhan. One night when I asked Gökhan why he would not let me pay for dinner, he said, "I like being a part of something."

I also feel like I am a part of something receiving such acts of kindness from the people of Turkey.

In tribute to Özgür, I will close with one of his favorite quotes from James Dean, "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today."


Travel Note

I am traveling today to Akcay and tomorrow to Izmir, so it might be a couple of days before I am able to post again.

2 comments:

  1. Mark,
    I am enjoying following your adventures in Turkey...the food especially intrigues me. How fortunate you are to have such amiable hosts. Happy travels
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Yes, I really am so fortunate. The Turkish people are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete