Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Taste of the Turkish Beach Life - June 27, 2010


I am continuing my journey through Turkey in a counterclockwise circle. You are looking at the village of Turgutreis, which is located about three hours due south of Ephesus.

You probably won't be able to find it on the map, so instead, look for Bodrum. It is along the southwest coast of Turkey on the South Aegean Sea.

Both Bodrum and Turgutreis are international resorts known for the blue waters of the Aegean

and for the beaches.



Umit recommended I visit this spot. Good call, Umit. My plan is to remain here for a couple of days soaking up the Turkish sun.

As with Ephesus, I am not staying with a Couch Surfer, but I am enjoying the hospitality of Umit's friend, Jim, who three years ago moved to Turkey from the United States. It isn't difficult to understand why he landed here.

Turgutreis isn't just about the beaches.


Yesterday, I also spent a lazy afternoon wandering through a local market sampling some of the delicacies of the region.

Oh yeah, Turgutreis is known for one more thing - some of the best sunsets in Turkey.

Like every other place I've visited in Turkey, I continue to marvel at the great kindness and assistance of the Turks. Yesterday, I arrived at the main bus station in Bodrum and had to take a mini-bus to Turgutreis. Of course, a fellow passenger asked around until he found the correct mini-bus and put me on it.

When I pulled into Turgutreis, I began looking for the address of my host, Jim. A man walked out of his business and shouted, "I'll help you." He invited me to come inside, handed me a cold bottle of water, and called Jim on his business phone.

Many people told me that I needed to bring a cell phone to Turkey. That certainly would have made things easier - I arrive in a city; I call my English-speaking host, and I'm picked up. However, I felt that would have given me much more autonomy and removed some of my need for relying on the benevolence of others.

Later today, I plan on taking my first plunge into the South Aegean Sea. Tomorrow, I'm heading back to Izmir to celebrate my birthday with Umit and Reyhan, at their request. I've felt surrounded by love and good will my entire time in Turkey, but Umit's special gesture means so much to me when I'm 5,000 miles from home.

Life is good, and people are good.

I wanted to, again, thank all of you who continue to read my blog and to send me words of encouragement. I can assure you that your thoughts and words buffet my spirits each day and have been a constant source of inspiration.

Thank you!


Financial Update (June 13-June 27)

I began my trip with $350.54, but since that time, I have received an additional $179.44 in donations. I have spent $173.45. That means that, at the half-way point in my trip, I have $356.53 left to spend over the next 15 days. Incredibly, that is more money than I left with from the United States.

New Donations

June 22 = 20 Turkish Lira = $12.60

June 22 = $52.75 - 1.83 (PayPal fee) = $50.92

June 23 = $20 - 0.88 (PayPal fee) = $19.12

June 25 = $100 - 3.20 (PayPal fee) = $96.80

Total Donations = $179.44

Expenses

Transportation = 112.80 Turkish Lira = $71.06

Food = 78.79 Turkish Lira = $49.63

VISA (to enter Turkey) = $20.00

Lodging = 30 Turkish Lira = $18.90

Ephesus Entrance = 20 Turkish Lira = $12.60

Internet Fees = 2 Turkish Lira = $1.26

Total Expenses = $173.45

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous. No one would blame you of you stayed right there!!! With that beach, market and sunset... I don't know if I'd come back!
    What a wonderful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete