Saturday, June 12, 2010

It'sTime To Go - June 12, 2010



Almost ten months ago, I launched my mission, a dream that many of my students and adults said would be impossible to achieve. Tomorrow, I'm headed to Turkey to find out if benevolence will carry me through the country for a month.

It's a 15-hour flight to Istanbul, so don't expect to hear from me for a couple of days.

Istanbul is the only city in the world that sits on two continents. If you click on this link, you will see the European side on the left, and across the Bosphorus River, you will see the Asian side on the right. Look for the word Kadıköy in the lower right-hand corner of the map. That's where I'll be staying.

My host in Istanbul is named Gökhan, who I found through CouchSurfing. He's graciously offered to put me up for four days.

I'm touched by his generosity, but Gökhan is not alone in his willingness to host travelers. If you still don't believe benevolence exists in the world, you might want to check out some of the experiences of people who've used CouchSurfing.

When Gökhan read my story about how some of my students believed that the world was evil, he wrote me this, "I felt sad about your students and this idea. If any kid came to me and told me that the world is an evil place, then I'd probably do the same thing you did. I hope I can help you with your mission here and break the prejudice of some young minds. "

During my journey, I will do my best to update my blog frequently. I hope you will check in occasionally and see how everything is unfolding.

I'm beginning my trip with $330.54, but I remain confident that the universe will provide for my needs. Through the magic of the internet, I can still receive donations during my trip, if anyone is motivated to do so.

Since this is our trip and you are my benefactors, I will keep you updated on how your money is being spent. At the end of the trip, my friend Joanie has agreed to post a more formal accounting statement. During the trip, I'll let you know in my posts. I'm still hoping I'll have money left over after the trip to donate to charity.

I've said it many times before, but I wanted to say again how grateful I am for all of the emotional, spiritual and financial support I've received over these last few months. You are making my dream possible, and you are helping me to send out a very powerful message to my students that the world, and people in general, can be trusted.

Tomorrow, we'll finally all find out together if a teacher can travel around the world relying on the generosity of others.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us be a part of this experience, Mark! I am SO excited for you, and I hope you love Turkey as much as Tony and I did when we visited two years ago. We will continue to pray for you and will look forward to hearing about all the fascinating people you meet and the wonderful places you see (and the great food you sample!!!)

    LOVE,

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete