Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Holy Site in Konya - July 1, 2010

You are looking at a site considered to be one of the most holy in the Islamic world. I'm told that the turquoise tiles are quite rare and quite valuable.

The beloved philosopher Celaleddin Rumi, whose followers later called Mevlana (our guide), is buried here. As I approached the tomb, I saw dozens of people praying fervently in a way I found extremely moving.

After his death in 1273, Rumi's son founded the brotherhood of the whirling Dervishes. The Dervishes, clad in white robes and fezes, perform a worship ceremony involving a ritual dance, which is famous throughout the world. Take a look here.

Rumi's tomb is located in the city of Konya. On a map, Konya is inland about 360 miles (575 km) east of Izmir.

Konya was one of the first inhabited places on earth and was once an important trading center along the Silk Road. It is still known as a major agricultural area, although now manufacturing has become an important part of the economy.

Unlike the other cities I've visited, Konya has a reputation for being extremely conservative. I've seen more headscarves here than any where else in Turkey.

My latest Coach Surfing host is Recai, a professor in automotive engineering. Recai graciously showed me around the city and took me out to lunch with his delightful children, who were eager to practice their English. I got to sample some Turkish pizza, which unlike American pizza, is made on a wafer-thin crust.



Later that evening, I got to celebrate the birthday of Recai's son. By the end of the day, his daughter was calling me Uncle Mark. It doesn't get much better than that.

Like all of my other Couch Surfing hosts, I asked Recai about his thoughts on the organization. He told me, "I'm very happy about learning about different cultures. The Turkish people like to be hosts because guests are important according to our culture."

As for my project, Recai agrees that people are basically good, but he said in recent years he has been saddened by what he sees as the breakdown in worldwide human relations due to the increased use of television, the interent, governments pursuing their own political agendas at the expense of human relations, and religious groups that focus more on differences among other religious groups, instead of similarities.

As Recai put it, "It doesn't matter your race or religion, just that we are all human."

Recai is an intelligent man who is knowledgeable about many subjects. I enjoyed discussing several topics with Recai and having the opportunity to see world politics through Turkish eyes rather than American ones. It really puts things into a whole new perspective.

Thanks for welcoming me into your home, Recai.

Before I left Konya this morning, Recai set up two informal meetings with the head of a museum and the head of a car factory. I felt like a diplomat fielding questions about politics, religion, and current events, emphasizing throughout that I believe there are more similarities between the people of America and Turkey than differences.

I hope I added a little something to the spirit of open, peaceful dialogue. At the very least, I hope I left them smiling.

From Konya, I headed another four hours northeast to Kayseri, which is in a mountainous area of Turkey called Cappadocia. I'll let you know more tomorrow. Tonight, I am about ready for bed.

As always, thanks for reading my blog.


Update on Television Story


I have been getting a lot of positive feedback on the televison story that a reporter in Izmir did on my trip. After I left Izmir, a newspaper reporter called Umit because he also wanted to write a story. She gave him more information and sent him some pictures. Life really is funny sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Mark! It's Beverly from across the hall. Sorry that I missed seeing you before you left. I'm glad that I have finally caught up with you and I am thrilled that everything is going well. All the pictures are so beautiful! By the way, "Happy Birthday!" I know that you are having a wonderful time. Know that you are missed here and my prayers are with you. I'll be watching this blog and trying to live vicariously through you while you're gone. Until later...Blessings! Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your well wishes. I appreciate it. I hope all is well back in Dalton.

    ReplyDelete