Monday, July 5, 2010

Turkish Riddle - July 6, 2010

Here's a riddle for you. I needed a seat on a night bus to Amasya. One seat was empty, but the clerk wouldn't sell it to me. Why?

Did I say something to offend him? Did he not like what I was wearing? Was he saving the seat for a friend?

No, in Turkey bus companies for long-distance routes can't sell a ticket to a man if he is unrelated to the woman in the seat next to him or vice versa. A woman already had the seat, so I was out of luck.

The measure is designed to prevent harrassment.

Fortunately, Aziz, my Couch Surfing host, was with me because he also was catching a bus, and he was able to find me the last empty seat on another bus.

In Turkish, Aziz means "saint," and he lived up to that name throughout my visit, especially tonight. Even though Aziz's bus was five minutes from leaving, he insisted on taking care of my needs first, at the risk of missing his own ride.

I've got a couple of hours to kill before my bus leaves, so I stopped into an internet cafe to write this post.

It's moments like this that I remember the most when traveling overseas. I'm 5000 miles from home in a Turkish bus station after midnight. I can't understand the language, and I'm all alone, but I'm happy.

Life seems exciting and full of endless possibilities. The next adventure awaits.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I do not think Aziz is the only "saint" you have encountered on your adventure. You have truly found some wonderful new friends is in this great country. I hope it inspires more Americans to visit Turkey. It really is one of my favorite places -- I only wish I could have seen it as you have. Any chance you will see Ankara?

    Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such faith. I am so impressed. Keep smiling, I think it will get you any where:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, and thank you for keeping up with my blog.

    Actually, I don't see it as much faith. I've just come to expect wonderful things from Turkey, and I haven't been disappointed.

    ReplyDelete