Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hospitality American Style - July 25, 2010

It's been a great five days in Destin with Trevor, who is a super host. I swam every day; went bike riding; ate in some terrific restaurants; saw Le Grand Cirque, which I highly recommend; visited Seaside, Florida, the filming location for the movie The Truman Show starring Jim Carrey, which I would also recommend because the city was built as a model community; and experienced some incredible hospitality.

Yesterday, Trevor invited me to a cookout. The host had a delicious spread of food, and we spent the day swimming, playing horseshoes and other games, and sharing travel stories. Since Trevor is in the military, many of his friends have traveled to locations all over the globe, and his friends all touted the benefit of spending time in other cultures.

Before I left, I had a chance to talk with the host. I thanked him for inviting me to the cookout, and I said how impressed I was with the extent of his hospitality. He said something in reply that is a good philosophy for living, in general. "It is no fun having it, if you don't share it."

When I was traveling in Turkey, many of my friends said they wanted to journey through the United States, but they weren't sure what kind of reception they would get. If my week in Florida is any indication, I would tell them wholeheartedly to come. Goodness is not limited by national boundaries.

Today, I am leaving Destin and headed to Panama City, where new adventures await. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment