Monday, July 5, 2010

Eating Turkish Style - July 5, 2010


Many traditions have changed in Turkey, but Aziz and his other roommates, Dicle, Onur, and Tuğça, are trying to keep alive an ancient Turkish culinary practice.

For centuries, the Turks have eaten from communal platters while sitting on the floor.

Instead of separate plates, diners reach into the platters with forks or other utensils and eat the food directly. With lighter meals, the diners might place the food onto bread.

Many Turks still eat this way.

The philosophy behind the tradition is it is an act of sharing. The practice is certainly appropriate with Aziz because he and his rommates are some of the most generous people I have ever met.

It has taken me some getting used to eating off the platters, especially trying not to drop food, but it really is an intimate way to eat.

More Generosity

Yesterday, as I was returning to Kayseri, a woman struck up a conversation with me because she knew I was from abroad. Before she got off the bus, she invited me to have dinner with her and her family.

Normally, I would have gone, but I preferred to spend the evening with my friends. Still, I was touched by such an offer coming from a complete stranger.

Travel Update

In a few hours, I am leaving Kayseri on a night bus bound for Amasya, which is about 8 hours northeast of here. İf you've been keeping track of my path, I am continuing a counterclockwise circle through Turkey.

I'll update you as soon as I can. I know you probably get tired of reading it, but I can't express enough how much it means to me that you are reading my blog and sending me your comments. It makes home seem a lot closer.

2 comments:

  1. It continues to sound like a really great adventure. I wondered if you would go to Ankara but don't even know why. It doesn't appear to be on the direction you are going.
    Hope the rest of the trip will continue to fill your soul with kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I will probably go through Ankara on my way to Bursa. After the Black Sea, I will continue my counterclockwise circle west.

    Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete