Saturday, July 10, 2010

Farewell Bursa - July 10, 2010


After a second wonderful day in Bursa, I had to, with great sadness, return to Istanbul.

Bursa has a lot to offer - historical sites, numerous bazaars, Turkish baths, and fine restaurants, but the highlight of my visit to Bursa was meeting Mehmet, Yeşim, and their daughter Deniz.

Last night, the family took me to dinner with their friends. It was an evening of great food, laughter, and spirited discussions on a number of topics.

I cannot say enough about Mehmet's generosity. He wouldn't let me pay for anything in Bursa, and he even bought me a ticket on the highspeed ferry to Istanbul, so that I wouldn't have to take a much longer bus ride. I felt like I was a member of the family.

I am even more impressed by Mehmet and Yeşim's commitment to strengthening international understandings and international benevolence.

They both are actively involved in the Bursa-ULUDAG Rotary Club, as well CISV, which sets up cultural exchanges among children from all over the world.

Mehmet and Yeşim are already passing on this legacy to their daughter, who just returned from a trip to the Congo. As Mehmet put it, "Deniz was born into travel." I can think of no greater gift to give to one's children than a worldwide perspective of life.

Thanks, Mehmet for everything. I hope the next Rotary Club meeting we attend together will be in the United States.

Now, I'm back in Istanbul. My 30-day, 15-city, counterclockwise tour of Turkey is quickly drawing to an end.

Today, I decided to just check into a cheap hotel on Istanbul's European side and spend a leisurely day strolling through the streets.

I have only one important mission today - I am in search of Turkish pistachio nuts for my friend Joanie, who developed an addiction for them when she visited Turkey. Joanie, Mehmet gave me some insider information for the Spice Market.

Tomorrow, I have the privilege of spending my last evening in Turkey with my friend Gökhan, who hosted me my first four nights in Turkey. Then, it's back to the United States.

That's it for now. The Spice Market awaits.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like the trip was so much more than you ever anticipated and that is wonderful.
    It's interesting the last family you stayed with was active in CISV. If you remember we hosted a Swedish student when you were young.
    Have a good last day and a safe trip home.
    Hope you find some pistachios for Joanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe it's almost over. Seems like that first post was a few days ago. Thank you for taking the time to blog and post pictures and bring us along with you. It's been a real treat for me and I know it's a trip you'll remember for a lifetime. Your students will love hearing about it.
    I hope you will see your new Turkish friends again in this life.
    Safe travels, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it has been a great trip, and I am a little sad tonight thinking it is about to end.

    Thank you so much for your comments.

    Hopefully, we can touch base when I get home, other than from 5,000 miles away via the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea!!! I am getting Turkish pistachios!!!! I can almost taste them!!! I can't wait. Do you need a ride home from the airport? Just let me know, and I will come and get you! I am thinking you get into Atlanta late Monday night, so if you would like a friendly face to meet you at the airport, let me know, and I will be there!!!! I can head down right after class!

    Love,
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very kind. Actually, I have already paid for the shuttle, and the flight gets in really late.

    Again, though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete