Sunday, July 11, 2010

Back in Asia - July 11, 2010

Yesterday, I spent the day on the European side of Istanbul. Today, after a 15-minute ferry ride, I am back in Asia staying with my friend Gökhan.

It seems fitting that I spend the last day with Gökhan. He was my first host in Turkey and after experiencing his hospitality, I left his home full of confidence that great things lay ahead over the next month. Even I underestimated just how much kindness would be awaiting me.

Today is a special day in Turkey and around the world. Later tonight, we will learn who is this year's World Cup champion in football (soccer). I will be camped out around the television like everyone else.

Tomorrow, I'll head back to the United States. I might not have time to write tomorrow, but I will have much more to say when I get back.

However, I will say this right now. I can't express how much I appreciate all of my benefactors for making this trip possible. Even after a month, sometimes it still feels like a dream. It never would have happened without your help.

I'll close now because some of Gökhan's friends will be coming over soon.

By the way, I think that the people of Spain will be dancing in the streets tonight after a win over the Netherlands. You heard it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment