Thursday, June 13, 2013

Journey Through Southeast Asia - June 13, 2013

It's been awhile since I posted anything about my travels. This summer seems like a good time to resume the practice I started back in 2010 during my trip to Turkey. It also seems like a good way to let my family and friends know what's happening, rather than sending out individual e-mails. This way, I won't clog your in-box, and if you feel like knowing how the trip is going, you can just take a peek at my blog.

To update everyone, this summer I am traveling for seven weeks through Southeast Asia. My agenda is wide open, but roughly speaking, I would like to get to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam. We'll see if that happens.

The trip began with a three-day stopover in Abu Dhabi, where I stayed with a Couchsurfer, a Canadian teacher. It was an excellent experience with the highlight being a swim in the Persian Gulf. I met some of the friendliest people from all over the world. There were definitely not any anti-American sentiments.

Next, I flew to Bangkok, where I stayed another three days with a Scottish Couchsurfer, who is also a teacher in Bangkok. Bangkok was also enjoyable, although at one point I wasn't sure if I'd make it out alive. One night, my host and I headed out to eat aboard the back of two motorcycles, which is quite common here. Basically, it is a motorcycle taxi. Anyway, it was rush hour traffic and the streets were jammed with traffic, but that didn't stop the motorcycles from weaving in an out of the stalled traffic. Actually, it was quite exciting.

Now, I am in Ayutthaya, which is in central Thailand. At one point, it was one of the most important cities in Asia, but now it is popular with tourists who come to see its ruins. For the last two days, I have been doing just that.

For the first time, I checked into a "guest house," which is a simple but comfortable hotel. The room cost a little more than $6. It wasn't a luxury place but definitely not a dive. Since this is low season, there are some good deals.

I've discovered why it's low season. The monsoons have started, but, fortunately, it has just rained at night; the sun is brutal; and the humidity is outrageous. I am in no way complaining. I just wanted to paint the picture.

Also, I continue to enjoy the street food. Since I know no Thai, I just point at things and smile. The vendors get the message. Today, I ate a wonderful bowl of noodle soup loaded with basil leaves and bean sprouts. Ummmmmm.....

The food is wonderful from the street vendors and quite cheap. I haven't paid more than a couple of dollars for anything.

In the past, I used to envy tourists who braved eating street food because it always looked great, but I chickened out. This summer, I decided to take the plunge and have had no problems. Actually, a couple of years ago I read that the instances of food-born illness are as common at fancy restaurants as at dives.

 In a couple of hours, I will head several hours north to Chiang Mai, where I hope to stay for two or three days before beginning my trek toward the Laotian border.

By the way, Beverly, I haven't yet found the beer can purses you want. Before I left Bangkok, I went to a market known for having such things but couldn't find them. I will keep searching.

That is about it.

I will continue with updates on my blog, assuming I continue to find internet access. Please forgive any spelling mistakes. I am updating this at an internet cafe, which charges by the minute, which is also why I'm not including pictures.

All is well. I will be in touch in a few days.






No comments:

Post a Comment