Sunday, June 23, 2013

Activities Galore - Vang Vieng, Laos - June 23

It's been a super last couple of days in Vang Vieng.

The town itself isn't much, but it is next to a raging river, which is framed by 1,000-foot, jagged, limestone cliffs, covered by dense jungle, and where there is limestone, there are caves.

Yesterday, I did a tubing trip down the river, which was quite scenic and quite refreshing. The sun was down that day, adding to the enjoyment, but about half way through, a thunder storm blew in out of no where. I didn't mind the rain, but I could have done without the thunder and lightning.

At the end of the trip, I had to maneuver my tube to shore, which wasn't happening because of the rapids and swift current. The next thing I knew a small kid dove in the water and pulled me to shore. Apparently, the kids do it for tips. I was happy to contribute.

Later in the day, I checked out three caves. At the last one, there was a small lagoon outside the mouth of one of the caves. It's a popular swimming spot, so I couldn't resist. I tried to swim into the cave, but the current was so strong that I was able to only go a few feet before being blown back out.

After a few minutes, a group of young monks showed up in a nearby field for some outdoor meditation. At one point, two of the monks walked over to where I had just gotten out of the water and struck up a conversation with their limited English.

Eventually, one of the monks asked if he could take my picture with his camera. This would have been the perfect shot for me, as well, but the batteries in my camera happened to die. Anyway, the monk with the camera was up on shore, and the other monk crawled onto the rocks by the river.

He asked me to swim out to the rocks, which I did. By this point, dozens of younger monks were watching from a bridge over the river.

At one point, the monk on the rocks reached down and grabbed my hand to help me up on the for the picture. As he was lifting me, he slipped, and I pulled him headfirst into the water.

Now, I'm not sure of the cultural significance of pulling a monk into the water. They are highly revered, so I assume it wasn't good. I was extremely embarrassed, but they said it was O.K. Still, I cringed. It would be like pulling a priest into the river while he was wearing his vestments.

Later that night, I went to the monastery to, again, apologize, but they didn't seem to be overly offended.

Today, I had planned on visiting more caves, but it's been raining heavily non stop since this morning. Instead, I will use this as a day to relax, which is always welcome.

Tomorrow, I am headed to the capital of Laos, Vientiane. While there, I have to decide whether to keep heading south and go into Cambodia, or I might take a bus up to Hanoi in Vietnam and loop back through Cambodia later. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Often, people ask me if I get lonely traveling alone, but I have met lots of interesting people from around the world. Most are younger, but I have met some my age and older. I guess backpacking never has to end.

I continue to have a great time. I'll be in touch.

2 comments:

  1. Tubing down the river and swimming in the lagoon sound fun. I can only imagine your mortification at pulling the mortification at pulling the monk into the water. What a scream! I cannot imagine he was offended. He probably offered it up. Anyway, it sounds like you are having a good time. I look forward to your posts. Thanks for doing them! Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, as you see, I'm catching up on your blog after all the chaos of moving the house and studio. I'm really enjoying reading your entries ... and ADORE the story of pulling the monk into the water! I'm sure you were embarrassed but the monks I encountered seemed to love opportunities to laugh, especially if they're on the younger side. How old was the monk that you "dipped?"

    ReplyDelete