Saturday, June 15, 2013

Chiang Mai, Thailand - June 15, 2013

It's been more than 20 years since I traveled through Europe on trains, so I couldn't miss the chance to do it again. Even though it was a few hours longer and more expensive, I took a 14-hour ride from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mi, which is an artistic town in northern Thailand.

I left in the early afternoon, which gave me a chance to admire the scenery - mile after mile of rice fields, which is the image of Thailand I had in my mind before coming here. Apparently, Thailand is at the top or near the top in Asia in terms of rice production.

I've always had a love of trains, so it was nice to experience it again. I spent a little extra and got a sleeper car. About 8 p.m., someone came and lowered my bed from the ceiling. Another passenger slept on the lower section, which was made by folding down the two seats. The employees even put sheets on the mats and hung curtains to block out the interior lights.

It was a little tight, but I was able to squeeze my 5-foot-ten-inch frame into the compartment and slept fairly well. In the morning, I was awakened by a Thai teenager walking down the train yelling, "Wake up! Wake up!"

For the past two days, I have been exploring Chiang Mi. Yesterday, I visited a series of Buddhist temples and chatted for awhile with a monk. It's a free program that gives tourists a chance to ask questions and the monks a chance to practice English.

When I asked the monk how I could more easily meditate, he suggested that I get away from focusing on my breath, and instead, focus on the fact that death is waiting just around the corner. He said once we grasp that it helps us stay in the present moment. He also suggested performing works of kindness, which he says also helps us stay in the moment.

Last night, I checked out a night bazaar. It consisted of a series of outdoor artists selling their wares and vendors selling food over a series of several blocks. It was a sea of excitement with people from all over the world.

Today, I am checking out another popular Saturday art market.

Tomorrow, I plan to move on to Chiang Khong, which is just south of Myanmar and just west of Laos. It's about as far north in Thailand as one can get. In the next couple of days, I'll cross the Mekong River and enter Laos. From there, I hope to take a two-day slow boat ride down the river, which stretches through Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam, before emptying into the South China Sea. From what I've heard, Laos is a great country to visit.

I continue to enjoy my time here, especially the street food, but I am still having a hard time adjusting to the heat and humidity. I've read that is very normal, so I'm getting plenty of rest, drinking plenty of water, and trying to operate in a slower gear.

It might be a few days before I am able to send out another message. All is well. By the way, I'm not sure if my e-mail went out indicating that I would update everyone on my blog. Would someone please let me know if it got through?

That's it from Thailand. The market awaits.

3 comments:

  1. Wow focus on the fact that death is just around the corner. That's cheerful. Glad you're having fun. Eat something exotic for me! Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again I marvel at your spunk to get up and go and see the world. Do you speak the language or do they speak English? Be safe and I will continue to read your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, but really, the reason I am able to see the world is because people are so friendly and so patient with my lack of linguistic skills.

    I appreciate you reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete