Sunday, June 16, 2013

Chiang Khong, Thailand - June 16,2013

I think I am at the end of the world.

I am writing from Chiang Khong, which is a short hike south of Myanmar, and I think I could hit a 9 iron east across the Mekong River and have it land in Laos.

After being in cities for awhile, it is refreshing to be out in the countryside.

Riding from Chiang Mi was a scenic experience. First, we drove up through the mountains surrounded by jungle and then descended into a valley full of rice fields, which stretched on for hours.

This morning, I had my first potential problem. I just couldn't wait any longer and had to use the squat toilet in the bus station. My friend, Joanie, broke her leg last summer when she slipped in such a toilet in China. Fortunately, I was wearing hiking shoes with good soles and managed to get through unharmed.

Tomorrow, I will board the ferry to cross into Laos and probably hang out a night or two before taking the two-day boat ride down the Mekong.

That's it for the time being. I will be in touch in a couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear you survived the squat toilet with no injury. Not sure what I think about the idea that doing your business brings me to mind. Delightful. Love, Joanie

    ReplyDelete