Sunday, December 18, 2016

Christmas on Kilimanjaro – Bring on the Mountain!


As I await my flight this evening to Tanzania, I feel like a university student about to take a major exam, knowing I've done everything I can to prepare. Now, it's just a question of how my body responds to Kilimanjaro.

Will I succumb to serious altitude sickness ascending to 19,341 feet (5,895 meters)? Will my ankle – which has troubled me for decades after having it wrapped in casts twice over a four-year period  – hold up to the daily grind of 6+ hours of hiking?

These are the unknowns for which I can't prepare. Last week, I was reminded of the randomness of life, the middle-of-the-night moments we never see coming. While walking through a classroom assisting kids working on iPads, I didn't notice the large container that's used to store the computers.

The next thing I knew I found myself sprawled on the floor with blood flowing out of my swelling leg, enduring the incredulous stares of two fifth graders whose faces seemed to say, "This guy is going up Kilimanjaro?" It reminded me of one of Chevy Chase's skits on "Saturday Night Live," although I certainly wasn't trying to be funny. Afterward, all I could think about was how ludicrous it would have been if a large hunk of plastic ended my summit attempt before it even began.

Despite my embarrassing tumble, I'm confident and eager to begin my hike. I want to thank all of you who've already offered me words of encouragement. On Friday, I teared up reading a note from my school's human relations manager, who said, "I know that you will represent us." I guess I'm getting sentimental with age.

Have a terrific holiday! Look for my posts after the New Year.


No comments:

Post a Comment