Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Ripples Continue to Spread - August 1, 2010

Several people have asked me what my students had to say about my trip this summer to Turkey. In a couple of weeks, I head back to school. Once I have a chance to settle in and talk with them, I'll let you know about their reactions.

In the mean time, I wanted to share a message that I received last week. Before I left Turkey, I had the equivalent of $16 left in Turkish Lira, so I asked my host to give the money to the next Couch Surfer as a gift from the Traveling Teacher 2010 project. It seemed fitting, since I was showered with so much generosity during my journey.

It turned out that the recipient of that gift was a traveler from Tunisia, a country in North Africa. In his e-mail, Mohamed thanked me for the donation. "Actually, I couldn't believe it at first, and I said to myself this is another example of how great all Americans are."

I'm passing on the thanks to all of my donors because it was your money that made the gift possible.

I think this message is yet another example of the benefit of traveling overseas. Over the years, governments have often done a poor job of uniting the people of different cultures, but I believe a few personal contacts can go a long way toward changing the world.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, We had breakfast together just before you left Istanbul and I've put the link to your blog on my Facebook page. Everyone I've told loved what you did and am voting that you write the book! When I see you being interviewed by Oprah, I'll nod my head knowingly :)
    Am waiting to hear how things go with your students! Laure (from Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laure,

    Thank you so much for your comment.

    Yes, I remember that breakfast well. Listening to your stories, you inspired me to journey into the Middle East.

    I appreciate your support for my writing a book and for putting a link to my blog on your Facebook page. If I do ever make it to Oprah, I will mention that you predicted it.

    Have a great rest of the summer. Maybe, our paths will cross again traveling overseas.

    ReplyDelete