Friday, August 27, 2010

The Journey Continues - August 27, 2010

I've been amazed and humbled by everything that's happened since I launched my blog over a year ago.

A few weeks ago, a reporter from the nearby newspaper interviewed me for a follow-up story about my trip.

It's always a thrill to talk about my trip to Turkey because it gives me a chance to brag about the country, and it gives me another opportunity to remind people that anything is possible.

The story is scheduled to run this Sunday, August 29th. You can find the on-line edition here.

Since I've been back in the classroom, I've already used my trip as a teaching tool on several occasions.

"Mr. Dickinson, that's too hard. I can't do it."

I now relish these opportunities.

"Yes, it is hard, but anything is possible. This summer, I traveled through Turkey for a month....."

Teachers use anything at their disposal to try to capture the attention of their students. Hopefully, I'll be able to utilize the details of my trip for the rest of my career.

As I mentioned earlier, I would like to publish a book one day about my journey. I continue to plug away on a daily basis. I'll let you know how that journey unfolds, as well.

This week, I looked at the statistics for my blog. I've now had more than 3,700 hits from 39 U.S. states, as well as 42 foreign countries. Yesterday, someone from Albania read my site. When I grew up, the internet didn't exist, so I'm still blown away by how widely ideas can spread in cyberspace.

I want to thank all of you who occasionally glance at my site. It's been a real labor of love since the beginning. I'll try to keep you informed of any developments.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, classes are in session already? We Californians think it is still summer! At least, until Labor Day, for heaven's sake! Sounds like you have had some good lessons to teach your students. I am glad this all worked out for you. And yes, I think you should go ahead and write your book. There will be a publisher for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,

    Thanks for your encouraging words.

    You were one of the first people to post a comment on my blog a year ago, and I still appreciate your support.

    It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog after a story ran in the local paper. Thank you! It's so nice to see this story coming on the heels of so many other tragic stories in the news.
    Mike Wohner

    ReplyDelete