Sunday, July 7, 2013

Vietnam Adventure Begins - Ho Chi Minh City - July 7, 2013

As you can see, the information I read about internet sites being blocked is incorrect, at least for my blog.

I am writing from Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) from my guest house. Actually, it is a room for rent in a private family's house. They are very friendly but speak little to no English. Since I am on their computer, I will make this a quick entry.

I've heard mixed reviews about Vietnam, but so far, the people have been very welcoming. Just a couple of hours ago, a man stopped me on the street and asked me where I was from. I was expecting a sales pitch, but he was just being friendly.

When I told him I was from America, he shook my hand and said, "I am happy you are here." He wished me a safe journey and all the best. What a nice gesture.

This morning, I visited some of the extensive network of tunnels used by the Viet Con during the Vietnam War. After seeing them, it's much easier to understand how the United States had such a difficult time fighting and finding the enemy in the jungle. The tunnels are well hidden, booby trapped, and just large enough for Vietnamese people to squirm through them.Generally speaking, the Vietnamese are physically smaller than Americans, and American soldiers carried a lot more equipment, making it an arduous task penetrating the tunnels.

On the tour, I had an opportunity to squeeze through one of the hatches and glimpse at a tunnel. I don't know how I could have gotten through one. At the end of the tour, we were able to actually explore one of the tunnels, which has been widened for tourists. I'm a caver, and I still got extremely claustrophobic after a few yards. The tunnels are quite complex, having three levels. The lower levels were dug so deep that not even bombing could reach the soldiers.

It must have been a horrific battlefield.

The last couple of days I've also been checking out Ho Chi Minh City. It reminds me much more of a European city than one in Southeast Asia. I guess that is due to the French influence.

This afternoon, I had a little excitement. I am piecing the story together, after talking to a couple of the direct witnesses who were there at the beginning of the incident.

Apparently, two Korean girls were strolling on the street, one of whom had out an I-phone. I've read that motorcycle snatch and grap robberies are becoming a problem here. A motorcycle roared past, and the driver took the girl's phone. The girls and witnesses began screaming.

The driver made too sharp a turn and crashed, but immediately tried to get back on his motorcycle. It was too late for that.

Suddenly, bystanders ran from all directions and pounched on top of him, pinning him to the asphalt. I have a feeling that the crook might have taken a beating, if the police didn't also jump on top of the pile seconds later, cuff the robber, and drag him away to jail.

I've never seen so many people get involved so quickly. The Vietnamese don't fool around.

Yesterday, once again, I had no problems at the border, and once again, no one even searched my pack. The luck continues.

Tomorrow, I'm heading north to Mui Ne for a couple of days at the beach.

I'm hoping the internet access holds up. So, maybe, I really will be able to keep in touch.

2 comments:

  1. That is some serious excitement. I don't remember if you took your camera, but if you did, I hope you got some pics of those tunnels.

    ReplyDelete