Sunday, March 7, 2010

Blogger Glitch - March 7, 2010

As fellow participants in this world-wide journey, I wanted to make you all aware of a Blogger glitch that I'm having with the site.

Last month, I discovered that votes were disappearing from my two poll questions - “Which country should I visit?” and “Which charity should receive any leftover money?” At first, it was just a handful, but now dozens of votes have vanished. With the country question, I've gone from 139 votes to to 34. With the charity question, I've dropped from 84 votes to 23 votes.

I set up the polls because I wanted to get as much input as possible, and I appreciate all of you who have voted. I’m sorry that many of your votes are now missing.

When I discovered the problem, I immediately reported it to Google, which runs Blogger. Problems are handled only via a Help Forum. You can see my post about the problem at this link and see the reactions I’ve gotten so far.

Google is aware of my problem, and, hopefully, is working to correct it. Apparently, similar such problems with disappearing votes have occurred in the past.

Prior to the poll problems, on the question of which country to visit, Turkey was the leading vote getter by a slim margin, and as far as charities, Doctors Without Borders was the overwhelming vote getter, followed by Catholic Relief Services and Save the Children.

My plan is to still close the polls in April. If the polls are not fixed by then, I will stick with the choices that were leading prior to the poll malfunctions.

Again, I’m sorry for the glitch, but it was completely out of my control. At this late stage, it seemed inappropriate to start the voting all over again because it would negate the votes that were tabulated before the malfunction. I hope no one's enthusiasm has been dampened by the problem, and I look forward to seeing where this journey still ends up. Stay tuned, and thanks for reading my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment