Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Everest Expedition (Day 15) - Lukla Part II


I'm back where it all began, worn out, but otherwise safe and sound.

You would have laughed seeing me navigate the trail over my seven-hour hike, gingerly taking each step on each boulder, so as to not break anything on the last day.

However, there was a point to my madness.

Most climbers die on Everest, not during the ascent to the summit but on the way down because they're physically and mentally exhausted, which can easily lead to mistakes, bad decision making, and accidents. I had hiked too far to slip up at the 11th hour.


April 10, 2015





I especially kept an eye on these guys ...








and their lethal head gear.








I'm thrilled to be back. The highlight of the afternoon was taking a shower for the first time in nine days. Maybe that's why the yaks stayed away from me.

Tomorrow, I fly back to Kathmandu. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather cooperates because the following morning I have to return to Singapore.

I'll have more from Kathmandu.



NOTE: These are the exact, unedited journal entries I wrote during my trip. Because of limited internet access in the Himalayas, I am posting them now, rather than during my actual journey, which I finished two weeks before the first earthquake. I hope it's not perceived that I'm disrespecting the dead or those suffering. On the contrary, I'm hoping to provide some insight into why so many people, considering the risks, continue to be drawn to the Himalayas year after year.

Tourism will likely be what fuels Nepal's recovery. Until that happens, Nepal continues to need our immediate help, which is why I'll continue providing a list of relief agencies for anyone wishing to donate.

Please see Why I'm Resuming My Everest Blog for an explanation of my decision to restart the account of my Nepalese journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment