Monday, June 1, 2015

Everest (Day 10) - Dingboche - Rest Day



Dinboche, Nepal


On my rest day, I awoke to an overnight snow, making my two-hour hike all the more scenic. Originally, my guide Pasang wanted me to hike an additional couple of hours, but after we reached an overlook, he decided to give me the rest of the afternoon off, saying it was a good idea for me to conserve my energy for the task ahead. Tomorrow, I hike to Lobuche, leaving me just one day from Everest base camp.

Over the last week, I've seen several hikers struggling, but during my "rest" trek, I witnessed something far beyond that. It's one thing to get winded, but this trekker seemed to be on the verge of hyperventilating, laboring with each step, as if it might be his last.

A guide was accompanying him the whole way, surely suggesting that the trekker turn back, but a guide can't force someone to stop. I knew he needed to stop. My guide said he needed to stop, and I'll bet the hiker knew he needed to stop, but onward he went.

I admire persistence, but if I'm struggling that much in the future I'd like to think I'll listen to Pasang. Then again, I can be quite bullheaded. Although we're each on our own journey, it was painful watching a fellow hiker endure such an ordeal. I fear he's headed for trouble. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

As I write this, I'm enjoying a hot cup of tea and anxious to get one step closer to Everest. My goal is almost within reach.



MEDICAL UPDATE:  At the end of my trip, I found out that the struggling hiker began to exhibit signs of pulmonary edema, so he was airlifted back to Kathmandu, where he fully recovered.

NOTE: These are the exact, unedited journal entries I wrote during my trip. Because of limited internet access in the Himalayas, I am posting them now, rather than during my actual journey, which I finished two weeks before the first earthquake. I hope it's not perceived that I'm disrespecting the dead or those suffering. On the contrary, I'm hoping to provide some insight into why so many people, considering the risks, continue to be drawn to the Himalayas year after year.

Tourism will likely be what fuels Nepal's recovery. Until that happens, Nepal continues to need our immediate help, which is why I'll continue providing a list of relief agencies for anyone wishing to donate.

Please see Why I'm Resuming My Everest Blog for an explanation of my decision to restart the account of my Nepalese journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment