Saturday, April 25, 2015

Nepal Earthquake

I just learned of the devastating earthquake news out of Nepal.

In the interest of clarity for those who might not have read my initial entry, I am writing my Everest narratives from a journal I kept during my trip, which ended two weeks ago. I am back in Singapore out of harm's way.

It's hard to think past the tragic loss of life, but the reality is that Nepal is one of the world's poorest countries and will be hard pressed to handle the economic costs of meeting the immediate needs of those suffering, let alone trying to recover long term from the disaster.

A couple of minutes ago, I made a contribution to Catholic Relief Services, which is one of my favorite charities. If you could spare a few dollars, I would encourage you to also consider a donation to one of the numerous international relief agencies.

Here's a link from CNN with a list of agencies assisting in Nepal. http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/25/world/nepal-earthquake-how-to-help/index.html

I appreciate all of you who have been reading my blog, but in light of today's events, I feel it best to suspend my posts for awhile. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is exactly what I expected it to be when I logged on. We are proud of you and will make a donation also

    ReplyDelete