Monday, April 20, 2015

Everest (Day 6) - Namche - Rest Day



This is the view I woke up to this morning. Not bad.

Although it was a "rest day," I'm beginning to realize the term "rest day" is a euphemism for "you're going to do a grueling hike but you're just not leaving the village" because I trekked for about three hours, most of it uphill, to further acclimatize.

I'm certainly not complaining. It just makes me think there are some difficult challenges ahead, if this was my "rest day." What are I being prepared to face in the coming days?

This morning, I felt a bit of a minor headache but nothing else to indicate the onset of altitude sickness. Having suffered the condition in Peru, I know what to expect, and it was a far cry from that debilitating experience.

My guide Pasang says the fact that I haven't had any more serious symptoms of altitude sickness, as well as my continued high-energy level, are both positive early signs, as we head toward even higher elevations.


This psycho-looking guy is me at the conclusion of my steep "rest day" trek to the top of a mountain above Namche.

After hiking, I enjoyed one of life's simple pleasures - a hot, $4 shower. Hot water is at a premium, so showers cost extra. However, it's so cold at night without heat that most trekkers chose to forgo bathing, which I'd done for three days, but since I finished my hike early, and the sun was still out, I took advantage of the opportunity, not knowing when I'd have it again.

By the way, here's my latest room, which has been the most comfortable, so far.


Tomorrow, I'm back on the trail.



Note;  After two days of flight cancellations, the rest of my group finally made it to Lukla, but they'll never catch up, so it looks like I'll be hiking solo throughout my journey. At least, I get along with the guy in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment