Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Child's Dream Deserves A Chance


I grieved today for a 7th grader, a 7th grader whose life is already mapped out for her at age 13.

Arriving early to class, I discovered that the girl had jotted a short, four-line paragraph on the board, which actually was a stanza of a poem she'd written.

"Do you want to hear more?" she asked excitedly, at which point she proudly recited the rest of her personal masterpiece.

These are the rare moments an English teacher yearns to encounter - a student passionate about writing.

"That's wonderful," I said. "You ought to consider being a poet when you grow up." The girl walked dejectedly to the board and erased her creation. "I can’t," she replied. "My family wants me to go into the medical field."

These are the all-to-common moments teachers dread.

A 13-year-old's dreams should be limitless - climbing Mt. Everest, dancing on Broadway, growing up to be president. Parents are supposed to encourage a child's dreams, not crush them, especially the dreams of a 13-year-old, but all too often teachers hear the familiar refrain of  "but my parents want me to __________." Economic security is certainly an important goal but at what price.

The world has far too many unhappy business people who once dreamed of being actors, or lawyers who thought they'd enjoy farming, or doctors who long ago forgot that they always wanted to write. Dreams shouldn't die in middle school.

When the bell sounded announcing the end of the class, I pulled the child aside and encouraged her to continue her writing, if only as a hobby, as she continues focusing on getting good marks in 7th grade to lay the foundation for success in high school, which, hopefully, will land her in a top-flight university, which might take her all the way to medical school.

But I know what's likely to happen. The 7th grader with a passion for poetry will soon forget her frivolous habit, set her sights on practicality, and one morning, decades from now, wake up and wonder how her life might have unfolded differently if not for her parents insisting on their occupational dream for her life.

5 comments:

  1. Hope we never did that to you. I don't think we did since you have always moved along in such good directions, more than I could have ever dreamed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, of course not. The two of you have always given me total support, which is why I possess the confidence to follow my dreams, including moving to Singapore. I could not have asked for better parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, you were indeed lucky to have the BEST parents God could have ever given you. Like you, I feel like I spend a lot of time trying to undo some of the damage parents do to their kids. Parents should not force their dreams and expectations on their children in such a way that the children's dream are completely crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark, Wow! Singapore? This sounds exciting! Are you teaching English as a second language? What made you choose Singapore? It is so nice to have supportive parents. Your parents sound great!

    Margie Bagby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear from you, and thanks for your comment.

      I am teaching both English as a Second Language and special education, both of which I taught during my 12 years in Georgia.

      I chose Singapore because I love Southeast Asia, and I love to travel. Singapore is an awesome hub for this part of the world.

      I hope all is well with you, and again, thanks for taking the time to post a comment.

      Delete