Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Zimbabwe Protests

Zimbabwe normally doesn't garner a lot of worldwide media coverage, but lately that's changing with some of the largest anti-government protests in Zimbabwe in decades.

Last week, demonstrators marched twice through downtown Harare, resulting in violent clashes between protestors and police, as well as numerous arrests.

I'm not sure how the incidents are being portrayed in the West; however, I can assure everyone that I'm far removed from the unfolding events. I work in the northern suburbs, while the demonstrations have been occurring a few miles away in the capital's central business district.

My embassy, as well as my employer, provide frequent updates on the political situation in Zimbabwe. Over the years, I've gained a bit of wisdom traveling abroad. If the climate deteriorates precipitously, I promise that I will chose a prudent course of action.


No comments:

Post a Comment