Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Real South Korea



Hongseong High School, South Korea

New York City is certainly not representative of the way most Americans live just as Paris can't provide insight into the typical French household, but we visit these places for a snapshot of the countries.

Still, I'm always eager to get beyond just tourist attractions and immerse myself in a culture, which is why I joined Couchsurfing.

During my latest school holiday, in addition to checking out Seoul, I couldn't resist the offer from a Couchsurfer to see "the real Korea," and so I found myself in Hongseong, a city of 90,000 about two hours from the capital.

What's there to do in Hongseong? Not much, although I did enjoy walking






through the rice fields and wandering around the city.





Despite the lack of sights, Hongseong was one of my most fulfilling travel experiences ever because of my host Jay and his family.

Couchsurfing involves an incredible amount of trust. While Jay, a teacher, and his wife worked, I entertained myself, free to come and go as I pleased because I had a house key.That's the world of Couchsurfing.

We got together after work, when I was able to partake of some






of Korea's culinary delights










and just enjoy spending time with Jay, his wife, and their two kids.

The highlight of the four-day visit was Jay asking me to teach a couple of his English classes at his high school. You'd think that's the last thing a teacher would want to do on vacation, but I couldn't have felt more honored.




The students seemed to enjoy my lesson on "Why Study English?" At the very least, it was refreshing to just focus on trying to inspire the 10th graders, rather than worrying about covering reams of material.

Afterward, I took questions from both classes. My favorite – "Do you have a gun?" Is America's reputation really that bad? It's something to think about.

After school, the principal invited me to a dinner meeting. If you haven't tried Korean food, you're missing a treat. Rather than ordering one entrée, customers often sample








several, smaller plates of food placed on the table for all to enjoy.











I've always believed experiences are more gratifying than looking at statues and museums. Although I didn't see a lot in Hongseong, I'll never forget my four days encountering the "real Korea" with Jay and his family.

Sometimes, an experience – even a potentially deadly one – evolves into an unlikely tourist attraction, such as a visit to the Demilitarized Zone separating North and South Korea. I'll head there next.

No comments:

Post a Comment