Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Everest Expedition (Day 1) - Kathmandu





There's a dramatic advantage between flying 8,000 miles from America to Nepal and flying about six hours from Singapore, although I'm still beat.

My trip aboard Malaysia Airlines went without incident; however, when we hit a rough stretch of turbulence, I noticed several worried expressions. I imagine it will take years for people to begin to forget about the company's two aviation tragedies that received so much attention worldwide.

I arrived around midnight, got my visa, and was picked up by a representative from my hiking company, Mountain Monarch Adventures. Nice touch.

Already, the difference in climate is quite noticeable and quite refreshing. In Singapore, the only seasons are hot and hotter. Here, I'm wearing fleece. In Singapore, we're at sea level. Here, the altitude in Kathmandu is 4,600 feet (1,400 meters).

If you're wondering, Kathmandu is nine hours and 45 minutes ahead of New York City and two hours and 15 minutes behind Singapore.

Tomorrow, I'm off to do some sightseeing in Kathmandu.

Good night.





Note: These are the exact, unedited journal entries I wrote during my trip. Because of limited internet access in the Himalayas, I am posting them now, rather than during my actual journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment