Sunday, November 23, 2014

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Summer



I can't help but feel Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole are mocking me.

In Singapore, there's no need to dream about a white Christmas with daily high temperatures at or approaching 90 degrees, and who in his right mind would roast chestnuts on an open fire in such extreme humidity.

It's Christmas in the tropics.

From all external appearances, it's like any other holiday season,


                                              but look a little closer.


The North Pole doesn't have this kind of foliage in November, and you'd never catch Santa's elves jogging in shorts and t-shirts.


Normally, this stretch from November to New Year's is my favorite part of the year, but it's hard to generate much excitement this year because I'd probably break out in a sweat.  Last month, I walked into my apartment building, spotted my first Christmas tree in Singapore, and almost cried.

It was a reminder to me of the enormous power and influence of our imprinting. Singapore doesn't conform to my image of Christmas, so I'm left despondent, although Singaporeans seem to easily look past the heat and humidity. It's the same reality, but I perceive it quite differently.

My time in Singapore has been a wonderful experience, but it's yet another example of why living overseas isn't always easy and the acclimation process doesn't happen overnight.

So, for those tired of the cold snap back in America, remember, it could be worse. You could be in danger of suffering a heat stroke on Christmas Day.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your posts. Miss you buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear from you. I miss you and the rest of the gang, as well. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog.

      Set aside some time for beverages over break. We need to catch up on the really important topics in life like the AFC North and the Kentucky platoon.

      Delete