Friday, September 26, 2014

Singapore Buddhist Lodge


Within a capitalist system, there are those who achieve great wealth but also those who struggle to just secure the basic necessities. Singapore is no exception. Last month, I had an opportunity to visit one of the organizations here dealing with the problem of hunger.

I believe government has a responsibility to provide some sort of societal safety net, but I also believe private groups should lend a hand. The Singapore Buddhist Lodge is a wonderful example of the latter.

The group serves meals three times a day to anyone with an appetite, regardless of need. An administrator told me they welcome guests ranging from business people to backpackers to the truly destitute. All meals are free, but donations are accepted.

On average, 1,500 people dine at the center daily and as many as 3,000-5,000 on the weekend. The lodge is open seven days a week.

The vegetarian buffet is quite extensive. A full-time cook prepares the meal, while volunteers man all of the other jobs in the facility.  Many of the food items are donated.

Looking around, I noticed that about half of the crowd was elderly, but I also saw several young people and parents with kids, lending evidence to the idea that hunger can affect anyone at any time.

Although no money exchanges hands, guests are asked to pick up their own plates and utensils from the kitchen and wash their dishes afterward.

The lodge is not alone in offering food to the needy. Giving is an essential tenant of Buddhism, but the lodge is one of the few places that demonstrates kindness on such a wide scale.

Walking around the facility that consists of dozens of tables in an open, cafeteria-like space, I couldn't help but admire the smiles on the faces of the enthusiastic volunteers and the general feeling of peace permeating through the crowd like the scent of freshly cut flowers.

I had no intent of dining, but one of the volunteers insisted, so I found my place in line and loaded up on a plethora of tasty, vegetarian delicacies. It's not the kind of culinary fare one would expect to find at a food kitchen. Afterward, I was offered fresh fruit to take home, but I felt that someone else could put it to better use.

You won't find the lodge in any tourist guides, but I can assure you it's worth the trip.

The Singapore Buddhist Lodge is always looking for volunteers. If you'd like to help, you can drop by the office any day from 8-5. The lodge is located at 17 Kim Yam Road.

Note: Out of respect for maintaining the confidentiality of the guests I limited my pictures to just a shot of the building's exterior.

1 comment:

  1. That would be some place interesting to visit. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete