Monday, July 28, 2014

A Busy, Unusual Weekend


I couldn't have planned the school calendar any better. After our first week of classes, we got to take Monday off for a national holiday, so I ventured out to see a few of Singapore's popular sights.

One such location is Sentosa, an easily accessible island resort just a quarter of a mile offshore. I went for the beaches, but a visitor has to first navigate a commercial maze of shops, restaurants, a theme park, hotels, golf courses, and picture takers to get anywhere close to the water. The Singaporeans certainly know what they're doing because there's no other way to get to the beaches except through the monetary gauntlet.

Of course, no outing in Singapore would be complete without a good thumb workout.

By the way, there's a new smartphone accessory sweeping Singapore - the Selfierod. Now, users are able to indulge in taking their own pictures without stretching and straining their arms. It completely eliminates the possibility that an obsessed selfie taker would actually have to interact with passersby to assist in the picture-taking process. Autonomous technology is such a wonderful thing.

One might think that Singapore is a beachgoers paradise, but, actually, there are few because of urbanization. The three beaches at Sentosa are man-made. They're nothing special, but a dip in the water is a dip in the water, and I certainly welcomed the chance to cool off.


For some reason, the stars on Sunday must have been out of alignment because I kept encountering one strange situation after another. First, I saw a Singaporean being so bold as to eat food on the bus, which is illegal, and on Friday I spotted a guy drinking water on the subway, which is also prohibited. It was quite comical because he looked around repeatedly before slipping his water bottle out of his backpack and sneaking a quick swig.

However, nothing was as bizarre as what I witnessed at the beach. I headed to one of the more secluded beaches where there are less kids. Still, I estimate there were at least 30 people in the area.

After swimming, I sat down in the sand and noticed a guy about 50 yards away sitting in the water splashing himself. Let the record state that it was a Westerner and not a Singaporean.

Anyway, something about his bathing suit just didn't appear to be right. Then it struck me. The man who was quite content just splashing in the water was also quite naked.

Now, keep in mind I wasn't in the liberal-minded French Riviera. I was in Singapore, a country where littering and spitting on the sidewalk are illegal. Perhaps, I should have tried a citizen's arrest, but sometimes I think it's better to let certain things lie.

The previous day I checked out another market, Tekka, which has quickly become my favorite. It's located in Little India, and there's dozens of food stalls to choose from in the hawker center.

Ever since I was a boy, I've always loved bread, and a particular bread I can't resist is Naan, which is a leavened, oven-baked form of flatbread. It's best if you're able to find it made in a traditional Tandoori oven.

As I was wandering around trying to decide what to eat, I saw a long line of people waiting at an Indian stall, which is always a good sign, and detected this friendly gentleman proudly stuffing his oven with Naan.


My culinary snack decision was easy.....hot, buttered Naan.




Wow!

If you're getting the impression that I'm doing a lot of eating in Singapore, you're correct. Food is a national obsession here, and there's no shortage of exotic, tasty options to sample.


The cost of living is quite high in Singapore, but there's always a bargain to be found at the hawker center food stalls, where a filling meal will just set you back three or four American dollars.

There's also bargains at the fruit and vegetable stands, depending on one's nationality and bargaining skills.

Singapore is no different than any other country - natives tend to get price breaks. When I lived in New York City, I heard countless stories about out-of-towers getting ripped off by taxi drivers.

For the most part, I think merchants are honest, but a Singaporean the other day summed it all up rather nicely.

"If you've got an emergency, it's a good idea to let people know you're an America," he said, "but if you're in the market it's the last thing you want to say because people know you can afford to pay higher prices."

However, above all, I guess it's a good idea to stay inside one's bathing suit in Singapore, regardless of one's nationality.

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts! I miss you, and I cannot wait to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanie,

    Thanks for your comment and forgive my late reply. In the process of moving, I had to link my account to a new e-mail address, which didn't let me know I had comments waiting. I just discovered it on August 3rd.

    I am looking forward to seeing you and Tony, as well.

    ReplyDelete