Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Road Winds to Hanoi - July 17, 2013

After a 14-hour bus ride, I made it to Hanoi. I slept a little bit on the journey, but it was rough. Hey, it's all part of the process. As I've said before, overseas travel is many things - eye opening, enriching, satisfying, exciting, and sometimes, relaxing, but often, it is also draining. Still, there's nothing I'd rather do with my free time.

Over the last few weeks, I've heard several travelers say they don't like Vietnam, especially the North, because the tourists claim they don't feel welcome. I feel just the opposite. The Vietnamese have been quite friendly, and at times, very playful.

Maybe, the issue is that the Vietnamese are a little shy with their English or maybe, by nature, Vietnamese are more reserved with strangers. Again, that is why I enjoy traveling alone because I think I am less intimidating.

In particular, I've heard tourists say people in Hanoi can be a bit cold, especially toward Americans. Keep in mind America fought against the North in the war. I attribute the idea of coldness to something else.

Hanoi is the capital of the Vietnam. A few days ago, I spoke at length with a Vietnamese woman who said that some people in Hanoi maintain the attitude that they are more sophisticated than those from the countryside. I've certainly experienced such an attitude when I lived in New York City. To some, New York is the center of the universe and the epicenter is Manhattan.

At the same time, New Yorkers are always in a hurry. The pace of life is hectic, and New Yorkers aren't necessarily the type that are going to say "hello" to everyone who passes. There's just not time.

Within 20 minutes of arriving in Hanoi, I felt the same kind of New York vibe. The people aren't unfriendly, rude, or anti-American, they just live in a city of millions with a hectic pace of life. Still, I've already had some great conversations and felt very welcome. It just takes a little more effort and time to make a connection.

I don't doubt tourists have had some negative experiences in Hanoi, but I've also talked to dozens of people in the United States over the years who would prefer New York City to vanish from the face of the earth because of their negative perceptions of the place. 

Last night, I talked with an older Vietnamese woman for over an hour. I brought up the topic of the war. She had a refreshing outlook. She said the war was in the past and that many Vietnamese, including those in the North, prefer to look toward the future.

Today, I plan to take a look around the city and visit the infamous "Hanoi Hilton," the place where American POWs were imprisoned and tortured.

Tomorrow, I hope to get to Halong Bay.

That's it. I am getting hungry for my morning soup after a restful night of sleep. I found a great hotel and decided to splurge. Normally, I spent around $6 dollars a night for a room. Last night, I paid the princely sum of $11.

As always, I'll be in touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment